Thursday, October 28, 2010

sutton be: rough draft

“You don’t have to follow me to the market,” Jaimie said.

They both walked in the open, Milk determined to stay by Jaimie’s side. “No, I do,” Milk insisted. “I need to protect you.”

Jaimie felt his cheeks burn as he looked down to his friend. Sometimes he liked the idea of her protecting him, where he could just sit in his apartment and Milk could protect him from the ever-changing world. He had already accepted that she would stay with him forever. He was counting on it. He wasn’t sure how to cope without her.

“Well, you could have at least put on a shirt,” Jaimie said.

“I am wearing a shirt,” Milk said.

“Okay just stop,” Jaimie said.

Milk stopped walking, but her white eyes stayed locked on Jaimie. It was clear to him that if he kept walking, she’d follow anyway.

He knelt down in front of her and zipped up her sweater, making sure her chest was firmly covered. He may have caught a glimpse too, but he wouldn’t have admitted it. Milk, of course, was completely unconcerned.

“Now it’ll be too bulky,” Milk noted.

“That’s why some people wear t-shirts,” Jaimie replied, beginning to walk again.

Milk scoffed and walked closely at his heels. “Why is it so important that I cover up?” Milk asked. “I don’t understand, don’t you like them?”

Milk grabbed at her chest to emphasize what she was talking about, and Jaimie patted her hands off her own chest. This is a conversation they had many times before.

“They’re too small, aren’t they,” Milk stated. “But if they were big they would get in the way and flop out of my sweater and be all awkward. They are the perfect size for function.”

“I like your breasts!” Jaimie said, not immediately realizing he was close to shouting. He lowered his voice as passerbys gawked at him. “I mean, I agree, they’re functional and, uh, pert, but you can’t just go showing them off. Other women might get jealous.”

“In all your magazines they have big ones,” Milk said. “Are you sure it isn’t the size?”

Jaimie cleared his throat. “I am sure,” he said. “Listen, if you keep on like this, that old bitch at the market will think I’m sexually abusing you or something. She already thinks I’m a pedophile which I’m not.”

“I just wish other shirts were more comfortable,” she said. “And sometimes I get the impression that clothes are sexier than being naked. Don’t you find that? I find myself more attracted to you in what you’re wearing now than completely naked. Too many bits flop about, but right now you’re all put together and smart.”

He stopped walking. “When did you see me naked?” Jaimie asked.

Milk shrugged. “When you were taking a shower and again when you were using the bathroom and another time you were getting ready for bed and once you were sitting at your computer naked which I didn’t understand so I pretended not to see you.”

“You can’t spy on me Milk!” Jaimie said, holding his head in frustration. “You should let me know when you have your eye on me.”

“But I like watching you,” Milk said as they arrived in the market. Jaimie tried to ignore the gaze of the ol’ bitch. “And I’ve been meaning to ask you. You know how sometimes I curl up with you in bed and you’re all warm and soft and then you get mad at me for cuddling up with you and nuzzling you?”

Jaimie hunched over, trying to make himself less noticeable. “Lower your voice, Milk.”

Milk repeated the statements with her voice lowered, watching the red come back into Jaimie’s pale cheeks. She liked it when that happened.

“Milk I heard you. I know what you mean.”

“Well, I want to try kissing,” she said. “When people kiss they say they feel about each other like I feel about you and I know you feel the same way because of the way you act around me so let’s try kissing because I like cuddling and being up against you so I would probably like kissing.”

“Sure we can try kissing,” he said, his voice low.

And just like that Milk grabbed the front of Jaimie’s shirt, pulling him down to reach her mouth. The first kiss was awkward, Jaimie hadn’t quite reached her mouth and some of his lips were above hers. “Hold on,” he said, pulling away from her. “If you are so determined to do it here, let’s do it right.”

He leaned over so he’d be more even, raising her chin with his hand. She felt her strong fingers twine into his hair as his lips pressed against hers. As he kissed her deeper, he wrapped his arms around her waist, lifting her onto the tips of her toes.

When he pulled away from her, they nuzzled noses briefly. He held Milk’s hand as they continued through the market.

That’d give that ol’ bitch something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment